Wednesday 13 October 2010

University Life

So as I’ve said, if you’ve read my ultimately boring about me, you’ll know that I’ve recently relocated to University- where I’ll have you know all the rumours are true! I’ve only been here just under 3 weeks but it feels like forever. I love waking up and finding people in the kitchen, waiting for a chat. I love coming home and being greeted at the door with a very lovely, although very high screech “Nicole.” I love going out and enjoying myself, with similar people who just want to have fun and have the full uni experience. I suppose there are many things that I love about university and know that as time goes on there will be more and more to talk about. And after all how can you not love University when you live in such a beautiful city?

After 18 years of sharing a room, I finally have my own… woo. However, I have the sole responsibility to keep it clean and make it look homey. I put pictures on the wall to try and make it my own space (even though I can’t redecorate from this cold pale blue paint!); much to some of my friend’s horror who describe pictures of them on the wall as less than good.

My humble abode...

My flatmates; well they are everything that I didn’t expect. In the best possible way, of course. It was my impression that my flatmates would be lazy, dirty, unfriendly and unsociable people who would make my university experience one less than desired and definitely one far from happy. So when I turned up on moving down and found some quite normal looking, down-to-earth people I had to thank the lords. Slowly over time they have become real friends and I couldn’t ask for better people to live with for the next 3 years (yes, we have decided to share a house in the second year, go us!) Anyway, here’s a little picture of our little, somewhat dysfunctional family…

Food is becoming the bane of my existence, fact. Gone are the days when I would come home to a cupboard full of lovely snacks and bits that are ready to just eat. Gone are the days when I would have dinner cooked for me and all I had to do was ask when it would be ready and voila it would be there. Gone are the days when I didn’t have to worry about there being no food in because food shopping was a weekly thing and I didn't have to be the decider, or payer for that matter, at all. But now, I have to do all these things for myself and my gosh, it is a pain in the backside. I never know what I want to eat later, let alone in the next week and I never know how much I can spend on meat- is £1 too much or far too less. I have no clue.

As a true student, I had to take a picture of my first real, complete and balanced meal…

I do, however, love the freedom that I get coming home to my own flat, my own room, cooking my own dinner and going out on my own accord. So, yes, the rumours of university are true, although not to the extent you might think. Our kitchen has not once been too dirty that we haven’t been able to cook. Only one of our flatmates has gotten drunk to the point of being sick, and none of us has gone missing after the night before. University is a whole bundle of laughs and scary moments but it is an experience that I am starting to really enjoy.

Granted, I’ve only been here for a couple of weeks and already miss my family beyond belief, but what doesn’t kill you, only makes you stronger, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment