Monday 25 May 2015

DIY Fairy Doors

Ever since I became a primary school teacher, I have been constantly looking at things on Pinterest trying to find some cute ideas for how I can create things that will excite my children. I love looking at all these ideas! This half term, my topic is called Enchanted Woodlands and we decided that instead of creating a topic solely around trees, we would add in a little bit of magic and fairies (because let's be honest, trees only excite children of 6 years old to an extent!) I saw online lots and lots of professionally made fairy doors that were beautiful! They were so gorgeous but I couldn't bring myself to buy them. So I took the ideas and thought I'd create my own.
I am so impressed with the outcome because I personally think they are beyond adorable and even better than anything I could have bought because I know I made them by myself! Now, I thought I would show you the process I took and the resources I used to create them!

First, I bought lots of different items from Hobby Craft. Now unlike other great bloggers, I forgot to take a fancy, artistic photo of the resources I used before I started making them- so I found them online and will link you what each of the things I got were!
1. Lolly pop sticks- you can literally get these from anywhere!
2. Any colour paint that you would like. I got this set: http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/ready-mix-paint-pastel-150ml/606451-1002
3. Varying sets of insect/butterfly/toadstool stickers: http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/hobbycraft-small-puffy-foam-stickers-butterfly-bugs/603199-1014
http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/hobbycraft-small-puffy-foam-stickers-bugs/603199-1005
4. Pearl like gems: http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/hobbycraft-adhesive-gem-stones-round-white-56-pieces/566610-1006
5. Any PVA glue
6. Some cute buttons that you have lying around- these buttons were ones that my Nan had collected over the years and they were all so beautiful so it took a while to pick the best ones!

So, you lay out your lolly pop sticks in any formation that you like- I decided to cut the tops to round the edge like a door and then glued some extra stickers across to keep the doors together. Then I painted them different colours. At first, I painted the runners of the door the same colour but thought they would look better white to make them stand out a little more. For the dark brown wood one, I got some wood stain from your local hardware store and painted it on in layers!
After I had painted the lots of layers of paint on the doors, I let it dry completely before decorating. I just went with what looked the best and chose different stickers from each pack. I also have plans to dangle a cute bell from the bottom of the door with string as a way of the fairies knocking on each other's doors. If I get round to doing them, I shall show you an updated picture.

These doors didn't really take long at all and I think they look beautiful. I can't wait to see my children's reactions at school and hope that it sparks a little bit of excitement and magic in their hearts!

Have a lovely rest of your bank holiday Monday. I love you all!

Cheerio,

No comments:

Post a Comment