Monday 25 July 2016

10 Things I Have Learned Since Being a Teacher

I've been teaching for 2 years now in Year 1 and I am classed as an experienced teacher- next year I am solely leading year 1 but along the way, I've learned some things that are very important.

It is now the summer holiday so I have plenty of time to think about where things went right this year, where things when wrong and what I could've done differently. Hindsight is such a beautiful thing isn't it? In the moment, you'll make a decision and you'll think it is the right one but when you look back on the situation with a clear objective mindset, you see that there are other things that could have been done. I guess that's just life!

I composed a list of things I have learned being a teacher and although there are way more than 10, I thought it would get a bit boring if my blog was 101 things I've learned since being a teacher. Moderation and limits is one thing that I've learned- know when to stop.

So here they are:

1. There is nothing more annoying than a child elongating your name and saying it over and over again. Hearing Missssssss Ryyyyy-aaaaannnnnn several times a day makes you really hate your name. Although, it does annoy me, I've learned to ignore it and I think that's the only thing you can really do in the situation.

2. You're an amazing actress. I used to think that I was really bad at acting at school and I really did hate drama in front of others but since teaching, I've had the best acting job of my life. I don't know how many times I have wanted to burst out laughing at something a child has said and yet kept a straight face or been handed something disgusting and not reacted the slightest. Someone give me an Oscar!
3. Empty your pockets before you do your washing. I don't know how it happens but somehow I come home with half the class in my pockets. Children love to find things, give it to you and in the moment, the only thing you can do is put it in your pocket and then you forget about it.
4. Teaching is one heck of a diet- you're so busy throughout the day that you completely forget to eat. It's great when you want to lose weight.

5. Children are the most loyal humans you will ever meet. It doesn't matter if you're having a bad day or if you have put children on time out, they will always end the day with giving you a big smile and loving you no matter what. Now, I'm a big believer in not being a child's friend per say- yes, I have fun and am silly with them because they are children but at the end of the day, if we end the day with them disliking me because I've been teaching them right from wrong, I've done my job. It's about teaching them and not always being liked.
6. Take time to just have fun and join in with their learning and their play. It's extraordinary how much of our job is governed by numbers/data and objectives but at the end of the day, children also need to be taught how to be children and cooperate during play. Don't forget how old your children are. The government will always push children to their very limits and you should push them to achieve their potential but teaching is not always about that end result- take the time to remember how old they are and change your day according to this. Take those moments to let them be that age.

7. Don't let planning, marking and the rest of the paperwork take over your life. I know it's hard to say but if it isn't done, the world will not end. Find a sliver of time from somewhere else or change your plans. It's important to know when to stop work and remember you're human and have a life as well.

8. There is a time when the talk of, sight of and smell of bodily fluids will make you uncomfortable but not want to vomit yourself. Breath through your mouth, put a big smile on your face and deal with the job in hand. It's not a nice thing but it gets part of routine after a while!

9. Don't worry. I used to worry so much about every little thing from fitting everything into my day to having a perfectly quiet classroom to having a successful lesson every time but now I've realised that although it would be a lovely life to have that, it's simply unrealistic. Yes, most days, you want successful lessons but not all children are going to learn at the same rate so there will be days when nothing seems to go right and no matter how many different ways you teach something, the children still don't get it and it's FINE! That is okay. You're human, it's allowed. Don't forget that you're not working with machines, you're working with tiny little humans with their own thoughts, feelings and experiences.

10. Regardless what anyone says, teaching really is the best job in the entire world! I do love teaching.
Those are the 10 things that came to mind when I think about the things I have learned over the past 2 years. It's not to say that I don't forget to remind myself of these things during term times.

Have a great day! :)
xxx
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment