Tuesday 20 November 2012

Oral presentation = done!

I hate public speaking.

It is a fact that I have known for many of years and have slowly but surely come to the conclusion that me and public speaking will never be best friends; in fact we will never just be friends either. They are two components of my life that I wish to keep separate.

Thankfully, keeping them separate has been easier than I though considering I have only had to do one oral presentation in my entire 3 years at uni, and you can't ever imagine the immense feeling of relief when this one was finally over. My heart was beating faster than I ever thought was humanly possible, and my palms were sweaty; not the mention the small, slow flush of redness that I could feel gradually encompassing my whole face until I resembled that of a big, huge, talking tomato.

But despite that fact, I had to do it. And today was the day. I woke up feeling sick with nerves and then went to my lectures where my nerves subsided a bit as I was thinking about everything BUT the presentation I would have to do. And then the dreaded break between the lectures and the allotted time for our presentation; namely a whole long hour. It was like listening to the march of the dead when we walked through the abandoned corridors earlier than our time to reach the room we would be presenting it.

And then, I started. I tried to be slow and I tried to be interesting and I think that the main achievement to take from this experience was that I got through it. I didn't mess up my lines that badly, I didn't have to constantly read from my notes (in fact I didn't look at them at all) and so I think I did well.

My friend had said after that if he hadn't had seen and heard how nervous we were beforehand, he would never have known that we were and that right there, is the biggest compliment that anyone could've given me after one of the scariest experiences in my life.

The fact is, even though I hate public speaking and don't consider myself to be a very good one at that, I made it through and I'm hoping our mark isn't going to be too bad.

That's another thing to tick off of my work load check-list and I am mighty glad that it's gone!
As a celebration of me conquering my fear to a standard that is worthy of a uni student; I am now going to indulge my inner child and watch Jungle Book by Disney.

BYEEEE! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment