Friday 16 November 2012

Twilight- Breaking Dawn Part II Review (No spoilers)

Twilight, Twilight, Twilight... Well, it has been a long four years in the making and the final curtains have just been drawn on the Saga. As I think back over the 5 films, I can't help but applaud the gradual improvement of both the acting and the visual effects that brought the story alive. When I first saw Jacob transform into a werewolf and the indifferent acting of Kristen Stewart in one of the very first films; I wished that it wasn't an omen on how the rest of the films would go. Slowly but surely, I grew to love the characters (yes, I admit it; I do like, and potentially love, the Saga) and I was excited for the finale that I saw tonight. It had been a long time coming.

It's always a bittersweet moment to watch the ending of a series, or finish the last book in the series, and that was none truer than this. Although many of you will hate on me for the fact I am going to tell, I didn't get into Harry Potter when the books were released and so my love for Harry Potter wasn't as far reaching as it should've been so I hadn't experienced the devastation of it ending (although, I have seen all the films, have the box set and yes, did shed a tear multiple times during the series) but for Twilight, it wasn't as much a devastation than a disappointment.

I wanted to love the film so much, purely because I didn't like the last book at all, and so loving the film would equal out the disappointment I felt with the book. Beside the complete love of Renesmee and the little family Edward and Bella created, I didn't feel as I thought I would walking out of the cinema. Unfortunately, annoyance and ultimate writer hell prevailed over my emotions and completely caught me by surprise. I physically groaned and shook my head as I watched the events unfold. Don't get me wrong, I loved the film and the roller-coaster emotions that soared me into happiness and then plummeted me into despair, but at the very last minute it felt as if Stephanie Meyer and the producers of the film chickened out with fear cowering in the corner of what could've been greatness. The jaw-dropping leap of faith moment for any director took me by complete and utter surprise that I was deeply saddened by the turn it chose to take but then they ripped away possibly one of the best scenes there was in the film. Sure, I would've been mad if they had continued with the leap of faith but I don't know whether I would've chosen disappointment over madness.

I am happy that I saw the finale, and by no means am I saying it was rubbish because I am a closet fan of Twilight- I just feel like a kid on Christmas morning being handed something that blew my mind only to have to taken away and told that it wasn't my present to have.

Despite all this, it is definitely a to see film, especially if you've seen the other films. Perhaps it was just my thoughts of the film, and others completely loved every second of it and I hope that is true. I'm pretty sure I'll watch it again, because if I'm honest, I can't help but love a happy ending.

So all that there is left to say is, goodbye, Edward, Bella and Jacob- it's been fun :) xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment