Sunday 21 October 2012

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Morning you beautiful bunch of people who are reading this blog,

October is the month of breast cancer awareness and I knew I couldn't let the month slip by without me having posted a blog about it. It's one of those things that are extremely important and although we know the importance of it, and recognise how much it needs our attention; sometimes we don't always pay it enough attention as we should. Sometimes, whilst we going about our daily lives, we forget about the struggles and the sadness that some people in the world are going through; not because we are selfish and don't care but because life gets in the way and that's understandable. The problem is, some people's life is based around the suffering and heartbreak and it's these times that we need to make sure we remember and do everything in our power to try and remedy the tragedy that happens.

So many good women are put through the trials of breast cancer, and regrettably some we lose but some we do get to keep. The tragedy is that we don't get to keep all the strong, brave and inspiration women that battle the disease everyday. The truth is the world is a cruel place where bad things happen to good people who don't deserve it. Every time I hear of a survival story, I am overwhelmed with the feelings of pride for people I don't even know because I know that those women have shown the greatest courage and strength that the world can see. Every day they live their lives to the fullest, making sure every second counts through the pain that cancer brings. When we think of heroes, we shouldn't be thinking of Superman/Spiderman/Batman, we should be thinking of the everyday people that are extraordinary in every single way. My heart breaks a little more to think that so many people lose their loved ones to a disease that we can't cure. Yet.

This cause is one of the things close to my heart. In my family, I have had numerous family members struck down by cancer, including breast cancer and luckily, they have all overcome it but I know many people aren't as lucky. As I know many of you have been affected by cancer whether that be yourself, a family member or a friend and that's the reason why we need to make sure that nobody forgets. We need to always  remember that even if we haven't experienced cancer first hand, there's always the possibility that in the future, we will and the only people that can find a cure is us. Us as a collective doing anything and everything we can to help us rid the world of such travesties.

I have participated in the yearly Race for Life a couple of times to raise money for charities that are helping find a cure and I know how important it is that people fund-raise and add to their charity. However cheesy it sounds, it literally could be the difference between saving a life or not. Next time you want to help, make sure you do regardless how little or how big that may be. The point is doing something to acknowledge and help; it's all that anyone would ask for.


And although October is breast cancer awareness month, it's not just breast cancer that changes people's lives. It's these sort of times that we should turn our thoughts to all types of cancer, and all types of life threatening diseases. With our combined knowledge, one day I hope that we can look to a brighter future where we don't have to say premature goodbyes to the people we love.

This month, I'm going to turn my thoughts to those the world has lost and send my prayers to those that are still fighting. Never give up because the world needs you.

All my love, and heart,
Nicole
P.S. Don't forget to donate any spare money you have to the cause. It's one of those things that needs our help, for our benefit; every penny counts. I donated £5 to cancerresearchuk.org (you can make one off donations) for all my family members and friends that have survived, and sadly those that were cruelly taken away from us to cancer. Together, we will beat cancer!

No comments:

Post a Comment