Saturday 20 October 2012

Extract número dos...

As much as I like to think that every one of my readers are just waiting on tender-hooks to find out when I might post another extract of my story on here, I know that this is just a figment of my imagination increasing my big head about my writing. I don't, however, have any other ideas for a blog post today and although I don't necessarily need to write a blog everyday, I am quite liking this one blog a day that I've been getting into recently and so in order to keep up my continued success in posting a daily blog for the last couple of days, I have decided that I am going to let you all read about the next part of my story; ultimately the male heroine in my story. I'm pretty sure most of you would rather read that than another one of my rants about the world, right?

I realise that posting my story to you guys may be a good thing (I get more people to read my material) but also may be a bad thing (the avenue of potential bad comments opens up greatly from doing so) but seeing as I didn't get any comments saying "you're a shit writer" from the last sharing blog post, I am going to take it as meaning that I'm not half bad (not amazing but not shocking) and might just continue sharing my story with you guys when I get the want to.

So, I hope you enjoy, and if you don't then I shall quit with this show and tell sorta set up and go back to writing blogs that are separate from my fictional story writing. As much as this blog is for me to express and vent everything I'm feeling; it's you guys that encourage me to do so with every view I see my blog receives. Let me know if you don't like it (anonymously if you wish) and I will cater towards the things you like to read instead.

Love you all as always, Nicole
P.S. Thank you everyone who reads my blog on a daily basis. I am getting close to reaching the 500 page view mark and I am beyond excited and honoured for the readers out there

"Derek Young was always known as Frank Young’s son, one of the most successful businessmen in London. He was always the guy that young women would gush over, older women would lust after and all guys, irrespective of age, would envy over. He was tall, well-built, fit and most importantly drop-dead gorgeous. The one thing that Derek knew in life was that he was attractive to the opposite sex and he used that to his advantage. He was never short of women that would throw themselves at him, and want to be seen with him. He always had his pick and choose of the women from one night stands, to flings and if he really wanted one; long-term relationships. Whatever he was suggesting, women would always cater to him. He had spent most of his 20s abusing this fact and had his fair share of women, probably more than some men get to have in a lifetime. He was young and free, and he was wanted; he had no other reason but to give the ladies what they wanted.
                Derek lifted a weight and placed it down, before picking up another and frowning into the distance. He lifted the other one again and alternated the weights before looking over to one of his employees and jerked his head to one of the weights in his hand. Quickly, the employee lifted the weight and he nodded his head without saying a word. He had found out that the less you say, the more power you have; especially when they are contracted to do stuff for you at your command. He enjoyed the feeling of power and whenever he could he exerted it as much as he could.
                “That material is best; it has a better grip and feels nicer on the skin. The other material started irritating the palm of my hand and I know it would only get worse.”
“So you want me to tell that to the researchers and this weight manufactured for selling?”
“Yeah, and then book meetings for the biggest gyms in the country where I can put these forward to the managers and potentially the boss if you can get them.”
“When?”
“Check my diary and see when I’m free. Book meetings when I’m not fully booked. Oh and don’t be an idiot like my last personal assistant, look at the damn place and work out how long it will take to get to each place and then book. The last idiot gave me 30 minutes to get from London to Manchester. I’ll let you into a little secret; that was the last cockup he ever did!”
“Yes, sir.”
He watched as the guy quickly disappeared from in front of him and rubbed the palm against the back of his neck moving his head from side to side. It was times like this he really wish his father had let him get a female personal assistant. He needed some tender loving care, and a neck massage from Lee wasn’t what he had in mind. As well as the fact that she’d be a lot easier on the eyes, something he could flirt with and get all his pent up sexual frustration out on. Even though he had control over the company, his father hadn’t allowed him to have a female PA, apparently because it would distract him from working. Derek knew that it might distract him a little bit but he’d rather look upon a beautiful young woman than a male’s face every day. He wouldn’t even try and get her in bed. Not until he knew how good she was at her job, that was.
He had tried to propose his father choose a female PA for him but he wasn’t having any of it. He could’ve picked the ugliest girl he could find and he’d appreciate her more than he did with Lee. Frank Young was a hard-headed and controlling man and even though he had retired already, he still demanded a say in the company and that included Derek’s choice of PA. Derek knew that a few of his father’s traits had definitely been inherited by him. His father had known his reputation with women and he had stated that at the end of the day his name would be attached to the company for the period of time he was still alive and hell would freeze over if his son gave the company a bad name for the way he acted with women in his private time. Frank had known that Derek needed someone to keep him in line and in business mode rather than tempting him into an office romance. One thing he knew about his son was that he was not gay and so the safest bet was a man.
Derek looked down at the schedule for the day and saw the countless number of meetings with his employees he had. Inwardly he groaned and snapped his eyes shut. Unfortunately, due to the current economic crisis, he had to deal with the part of his job that he hated. Every man and woman who worked at his company did so with the highest degree of commitment and performance level so firing anyone was despised by him. The words “I’m sorry to have to tell you that the company have chosen to let you go” are the worst he had ever uttered to someone. Luckily, in his time at the company he had only had to fire a handful of people, but the time had come around for him to do it again. The list of names was engraved into his brain and he didn’t even have to look at the list again to know who was on there. He could see the faces of the innocent, hardworking and undeserving people of redundancy in his head and a sorrow settled over him as he realised he was crushing multiple people’s dreams and changing their lives for a while.
His phone rang and he picked it up knowing that this was the announcement that one of his employees was already here to see him. With his head down, he listened to his PA before composing himself for the task ahead of him. His soft brown eyes turned grey and cold whilst his body became rigid and hard as he prepared himself to play the horrible boss.
“Anna Whitfield is here for her meeting.”
“Send her in.”
The petite but fairly muscular Anna knocked on his door and he politely asked her to enter; he watched as she nervously came in and shut the door before flashing him a smile. She had a pixie, black haircut and her hands twisted together as she sat in front of her. The first look of her and Derek’s whole demeanour changed. His shoulders relaxed and his eyes softened as he knew the bad boss wasn’t the way he operated; especially in this circumstance.
“Afternoon Anna.”
“Afternoon Mr Young.”
“What have I told you about my name?”
“I mean Derek.” Her voice quivered a little and he hated the sound of her nerves in her voice. He swallowed the lump in his throat and tried to squash the building guilt inside of him. This was his job, he had to be ruthless and not care. Although he knew that he would care as long as he felt passion about the company and the people who work tirelessly to strengthen it.
“Anna, I have some bad news. Unfortunately, due to the state of the economy, there isn’t enough money for the company to keep everyone on and this is, by no means, a reflection on you or your work. But we have had to make some cuts, regrettably and I’m so sorry but Young Corporation has decided they we have to let you go. We have set up a package that would hopefully last until you find another job and I will personally see to it that you have the best reference a boss can give so that you can get a new job ASAP. I’m so sorry.”
He could see the glistening of tears in her eyes and he handed her a tissue as the tears began to fall. Dropping any formalities and releasing the image of being the tough boss, Derek stood and knelt in front of Anna before wrapping his arms around her and holding her as she cried. He gently whispered his apologies into her ear and after she was finished, she stood and thanked him before walking out. Derek sat back on the edge of his desk, crossed his arms and placed his head against his fist.  It didn’t matter that it was just business, and that lots of people got fired from their jobs every day; it mattered to him because he cared. The employees in his company were more than just people, they were a family that worked together to succeed. Each and every one of them believed in him and worked accordingly to that. He hated seeing them go.
Derek heard the phone ring again and bit the inside of his lip trying to push away any emotional connection he had with the next person who was inevitably going to be sent into his office. He knew that his efforts were wasted when it came to losing any personal feelings for his staff members; he just couldn’t become hard as stone as his father no doubt did for years. Moving round his desk, he angrily picked up the phone and harshly said hello into the handset knowing that today was going to be a rough day; one of the hardest. Without listening to what Lee had to say, he bites out the words.
“Send him in, please.”

No comments:

Post a Comment