Saturday 27 October 2012

Reluctant swimmer

I do not pride myself on athleticism.

Although, I only do one hour a week of swimming; I find it extremely hard to motivate myself to go every single time. I don't know whether it's just because I'm darn right lazy and swimming requires effort or because I have legitimate reasons on not wanting to go. The fact is I don't do enough exercise in my week, and I think I need to be more active so that I don't suddenly balloon one day and wonder where all the extra weight has come from (because right now I can count every single item in my diet that is going to make me fat.)

I love swimming, don't get me wrong. But the thing I love most about swimming, is when the hour draws to a close and I can get out of the pool and not return for another week. Well that's a lie, that's the second thing I love the most.

My favourite part about swimming is the big sense of pride I feel at the end of the session when I've once again met the target number of lengths I wanted to do at the start.

That's probably why I still go because I love the feeling of having pushed myself outside my comfort zone, or outside what I think I can do to achieve something that I don't think I'm very good at.

I'm an English student, and I pride myself on that; but I'm beginning to find pride in other areas of life, and it feels good.

The reluctant swimmer,
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment