Friday 19 October 2012

Halloween

Halloween "All Hallows' Eve" is coming up in half a month's time, and I have no idea what I am going to be this year. I have already done the devil and a zombie school girl kinda outfit and now there's nothing really left that I have a deep desire to become. When I was younger, I would always go trick or treating namely as a witch because it was easy and I always wanted to be able to fly on a broomstick, I couldn't think of anything cooler. And even though it's a little different now I don't, I still go out to parties and get all dressed up for the sake of it because it's fun and when else can you get a plausible excuse to be anything you ever wanted? Although, thinking about it as a side thought; it would be extremely weird if I still did go trick or treating. Can you imagine a 20 year old something student knocking on doors asking for sweets without a little kid present to justify doing it? Completely and utterly weird, if you ask me. I would definitely slam the door shut in my face if it were me. But, students do look for anything that is considered free so I wouldn't put it past students to having done it before.

I just think that Halloween is a holiday that is specially made for children and I'm not ready to give it up yet. All the cutest outfits are designed for little babies or toddlers and I am way past the age where I can make dressing up as a pumpkin look cute. I can always just get a white sheet and pretend I'm a ghost; is that still an acceptable outfit or does it have to be an outlandish, extremely refined and well put together costume these days? Or if everything else fails, being a cat seems to be one of the most loved costumes for girls, so I could always try out that angle.

The truth is, I'm not even sure most people in the UK celebrate Halloween the way it seemed to be celebrated when I was younger. I think the holiday is becoming a dying art with less people wanting their children to go out and ask for sweets from strangers in the dark. I know that there are elements of scariness for parents when it comes to strangers but I think our politically correct obsessed world has gone crazy in people not wanting to hand out sweets to little children in fear of being branded negatively by society. It's one of those things that makes me sad to think that we are all too concerned with the way we will be portrayed; that something as festive and traditional as Halloween and treat or treating is becoming archaic.


Whatever everyone decides to do to celebrate Halloween, I hope you all have a wonderful, spooky, albeit, safe time in doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment