Saturday 13 October 2012

Winter is coming

Evening,

As I was walking to town today, I could feel the harsh coldness of the wind on my face and the slight tingle on my nose and ears with the knowledge that they were slowly but surely turning a pretty shade of pink from the cold and it occurred to me that winter is coming. Although, the seasons are probably not as distinct as we would like (mainly summer lacking that sunshine we all crave after the winter), there is definitely a switch in the air when it comes to changing from autumn to winter. The air gets colder, the sun refuses the rise for a couple more hours than normal, the nights draw in closer and the ever presence of hats, scarves, gloves and thick winter coats litter the streets, telling us that winter is definitely here.

I don't mind winter. I love the sunshine and the freshness that spring and summer brings and I love the crunch of the fallen leaves in autumn but there's nothing quite like an English winter. I love the opportunity to wrap up warm going out; wearing big jumpers and coats along with a hat and scarf that makes you feel all cosy inside. It feels like someone is constantly giving you a hug whenever you get to the ideal temperature where the outside cold can't reach you. Everyone loves to moan about how cold it is, and how much rain there is but I think everyone inside truly loves winter even if it's just for the knowledge that when you're all warm and cosy in bed late at night, you know it's freezing outside or tipping down with rain- that's always a good feeling and you can't deny it.

Even more so than wrapping up warm, the change from autumn to winter tells us all that Christmas is coming. Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without the presence of frost in the morning, being able to see your icy breath and the traffic lights reflecting off of the rain puddles on the roads at night. The fact is, I can't wait for Christmas to come and it literally is just around the corner. The supermarkets have dedicated aisles for the season, and shops are putting up their decorations ready for the Christmas season. Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, it's a magical holiday and one that no year is complete without.

Before all that, I'm looking forward to the Ryan family bonfire night firework display tradition and the traditional yearly trip to Harrods to add new decorations to the ever full Christmas tree.

I'm excited. Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment