Wednesday 10 October 2012

Postgraduate problems!

Fellow bloggers,

I have just discovered that this whole postgraduate malarkey is way more complicated than I first thought it would be. I spent my first two years of university being the young naive (albeit mostly drunk) undergraduate thinking that I had all the time in the world to decide and prepare for something that appeared to be a long way off. It was only until I finally came into third year that I realised that the time was approaching in where I needed to create a game plan. I need a fool-proof game plan for what I was going to do when I finally (I say when to be optimistic) graduated from my degree. What I have come to realise was that this game plan should've been written a long time ago and I should've been doing anything and everything to gain experience that will ultimately set me apart from every other graduate that will be applying for Masters/postgraduate courses. Instead I chose to drink and party and generally avoid any thoughts of the future.

Now, I find myself with deadlines for personal statements and applications for courses that I have only just decided I want to do; namely a PGCE for primary education. What I failed to think about whilst I had my great revelation about what I wanted to do for the rest of my life was think about the fact I have zero classroom experience and how I would need to have it. The problem here is that my university course requires weekday attendance and schools only run on weekdays leaving me LITTLE time to do the required classroom experience.

*breathes*

But even worse is when I finally get my butt into gear and research local primary schools where I live to ring up and arrange some work experience around my lecture timetable, I come face to face with yet another obstacle in the fact that the area I live in is student ridden and all have probably had the same thought as I did to ring them up but with the slight difference in that they thought of it earlier and got the place that I was wanting. THEREFORE, my option of doing work experience in a local school has just gone down the drain leaving me with a very sad face as a result.

Now, I have no clue about how I'm going to get the experience in order to get a postgraduate course in order to become a teacher and finally do what I want to do in life. I am so tempted, in my disappointed and let down state, to call the whole thing off, go home and be a bum for the rest of my existence.

But I shall not, and will try my hardest to find a solution to a problem that I'm making out to be the end of the world when in fact, it is simply an obstacle set out to trip me up to see whether I get back up on my feet and fight for what I want.

The End.

Discouraged Nicole...

No comments:

Post a Comment