Thursday 4 July 2013

Throwback Thursday #7

Instead of my usual, show you photos of Nicole when she was younger, I decided that today I would take a tour of my throwback phones. I don't know what age most of you are, and whether or not you have seen or used these phones but I'd be intrigued to find out in the comments which ones you know of/used or have not seen before in your life. Phones are very generational and I'm pretty sure some remember those huge brick mobile phones that were introduced first...
Imagine trying to shove that phone in your jeans pocket..
For me though, the most memorable phone in my past has to have been my very first mobile that I got for Christmas when I was 11. My parents decided it was time for us to have a phone seeing as we were in high school now and this model at the time was top of the range. The good old Nokia 3210 that had the legendary black and white game Snake. I loved it and the best part about this phone was that you could literally customise every single piece of the phone from the cover to even the keypad. It was the phone of the decade and I loved it!
Who doesn't want a phone that you can change the cover of every day if you wanted to? I personally loved this fact and miss it because now, there's very little variation to phones.

After came the next generation of the Nokia with the 3410. One of the only differences in this phone was the keypad. I can't remember whether this phone was still black and white but I can imagine kids being baffled by the fact there were no coloured phones when I was younger. In my honest opinion, although phone nowadays have everything you could imagine, some of my best memories of phones have been with these black and white golden oldies...

Nokia 3410
As the time went on, the way phones were designed changed and they now were more into the flip phones with a huge move to providing some colour screen. To everyone, this was the biggest development and everyone just had to have a flip phone as all the cool kids had one. No longer were the phones resemblance of bricks but were becoming smaller.

 These phones were slow and the quality of the screen was shocking especially if we compare it to phones of today. BUT, one of the most exciting things about these phones was that they introduced the camera to the phone. It was huge when people heard about it and it wasn't something anyone had even thought about- taking a picture on your phone was unheard of. In today's society, where we take pictures of absolutely everything, it feels foreign for this to have been classed as a ground breaking improvement. How times change.

Motorola Razr
The next phone was the top of the range, Motorola Razr, when I was in about year 10/year 11 so around 2007. It was one of the best phones on the market and it cost me £100 for pay as you go. For me, this was huge but I had to have it. £100 was a lot of money but I had saved up my birthday and Christmas money just to get it. And I loved it. It was the time when phones had gone from really really big, to smaller and just finally coming back round to being bigger again. It was called one of the thinnest phones and had a screen a lot bigger than the rest of the phones on the market. It was full colour and had some pretty cool games if I rightly remember.

I even have a memory of having a competition with one of the teachers at school on who could flip the cover the best because he also had the phone. Lameos I know. I'll have you all know though, I won... Ha!

I had this phone for quite a while before I went to go on to loving my Samsung phones but if I were to go back on these now, I think I would die of waiting for them to load but also how simple they were. At the time, they were the best models and it was so cool to have a new phone. But if we look back on them now, we can see how inferior they are to our new 2013 models... The level of technology that is now used in a simple mobile phone is crazy. As much as I love my Samsung Galaxy S2 phone, I know I hold a special place in my heart for these old phones. They're the dinosaurs of phones and although there are new ones out, you can't beat the old technology that have individual childhood memories attached to them.

It makes me wonder what type of phone will be out in the next decade as these were out last decade. It's interesting to think of and I look forward to comparing the phones of 2023 to those of 2013... Maybe they won't even be phones at all, and simply in built into us ;) who knows..

As always, let me know if you like this blog, if you had any of these phones or if you think there are ones that I missed off. I love you all!

LATERSSSS
xxx

If you missed any of the other Throwback Thursday's, they are here for you to look through:
Throwback Thursday #1
Throwback Thursday #2
Throwback Thursday #3
Throwback Thursday #4
Throwback Thursday #5
Throwback Thursday #6

No comments:

Post a Comment