Tuesday 19 March 2013

The Impossible

When the news of the Indian tsunami in 2004, Boxing Day, that caused great loss and devastation hit the screens of our homes, everyone was shocked to the very core. Before that, I don't think I had ever really heard of a tsunami and so it felt like a dream watching the reporting of the wall of water that crushed so many people's lives.
The film, The Impossible, is a Spanish directed film that maps the true story of a family who survived the tsunami. From the very beginning, you know what is going to happen and it's tense just anticipating when the disaster will strike. From the get go, you feel a sense of loyalty and dread fill your body as you peer upon the family with the knowledge in the back of your mind that this happened to so many people. I think knowing that it is based on a true story is what makes a film so amazing- and every other true story based film I have watched has moved me to the core.
So many times during the film I caught myself gasping and catching my breath whilst exhaling a "no" to the screen. As the film progresses, the more the emotion is stacked up inside of you and I can admit that there were multiple times when I wanted to cry. 

It was a beautiful masterpiece that tracked the emotional desperation of families trying to reunite with their loved ones. 

It made me feel lucky for my comfortable life where little disaster in comparison has happened to me.
If you enjoy the films that make you think, make you feel intensely, I highly recommend the glorious acting of Naomi Watts that brings to life how strong the love of a mother is and how far a person would go in extreme situations for the people they love.

Positively beautiful and excellent acting from Tom Holland, such a young actor with great talent and a very bright future that managed to capture the moments of terror of a child being thrust into adulthood in such circumstance and bring them to life in spectacular ways. Brilliance at its best.
I loved it, if you couldn't already guess
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment