Thursday 10 July 2014

Walking On Sunshine Film Review

Now, if you know me, you know that I pretty much like any film and give all types of film/TV show a chance. If it looks like it will be cheesy, romantic and full of fun (especially with music), I'd totally love it and I definitely thought this was going to be the case when I saw the new musical film Walking On Sunshine. When I saw the trailer, I thought it would be a Mamma Mia/Hairspray love child where the results would be amazing. It claimed to have classic 80s music and it did have that but the way they put them in was just awful. I love 80s music and the thought of being able to sing along really made me want to go and see it. I convinced two of my other friends to come and see it with me (my third friend was totally up for seeing it without needing any coercing from me!) 

My verdict is never normally this negative but I can't help but give this film a bad review. The film had so much potential and I think if they took another year or so to relook at their casting and ideas, it could have been fantastic. The whole premise of the film was brilliant, the storyline was compelling and it kept your attention but the execution just wasn't quite there. First and foremost, the first song Holiday was plonked in the middle in such an awkward way that I couldn't help but laugh so hard when the first line was sung. The thing that made Mamma Mia so brilliant was how embedded the songs were- there was a flow from the acting and the singing, which made it amazing. The film definitely needed to look up subtle in the dictionary. Normally I like in your face cheese but this was in your face cheese with a sprinkling of bad acting.
The main actress, although she was very good looking and fit the part with her looks, wasn't a very good actress. Now I don't know whether she wasn't a good actress for this single film occasion or whether the script wasn't that great to work with but it was quite terrible how bad her acting was, and most of the cast if I'm being honest. Add bad acting, bad dancing and annoying habits into the mix with those badly placed songs, the film was a bit of a flop with no charisma. And I hate to give it such a harsh review because I really wanted to love it.
There were however some benefits to seeing the film and that mainly came in the form of the main actor, Giulio Berruti. He is the definition of a man God, and I couldn't take my eyes off of him. He is absolutely gorgeous and if I had known before how rubbish the film was, I still would have paid the £5 just to be able to watch him for an hour and a half. I seriously want him to be mine. Yum! 
There were some scenes which I loved and the songs when sung correctly and placed seamlessly were brilliant:
1. The tomato scene- they sung Walking on Sunshine and I loved that. It was so much fun and it now makes me want to chuck tomatoes at a really hot guy and fall in love. Especially if it is with Giulio- give me him anyday!
2. It must have been love song- this was one of my favourite scenes because if the film had been like that the whole way through, it would have been amazing. It didn't try too hard in that moment at all, it was perfect. The emotions for the song matched the emotions of the moment and the acting was stellar. It was really good acting for the scene and it made me fall in love with the love story.
3. If I could turn back time song- now, this was hilarious at the beginning when it was deathly silent in the cinema- I couldn't help but laugh at the beginning of the song but it was one of the last songs and once they got into it, like the second scene noted, it really did have some emotion that I loved.
I hate to admit it but I didn't really like this film much and as a consequence, I totally wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It was badly made, badly acted and fell flat on its face, in my opinion.

Oh, I was so mad that it didn't live up to my expectations. So disappointed.

Never mind, there's always Mamma Mia to fall back on!

Have you seen the film? Did you like it? Did you not? Give me the reasons below why you did or didn't and let me know your opinion. I'd love to hear someone explain to me why they did like it just to see the flip side. Leave a comment below.

Love you all,
If anyone has any films to recommend me, please let me know!!
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment