Wednesday 20 November 2013

Observed!

Yesterday I was observed by my university tutor and I was so scared. I had planned a whole hour lesson on time and had thought very carefully about the activities that I wanted to do and what I would say in order to clear. I was so nervous on Sunday night and didn't sleep at all even though I wasn't being observed until Tuesday. The lack of sleep on Monday put me in a vile mood and I couldn't find a way to stop myself from being in a bad mood. It didn't help my planning and worry for Tuesday. 
But I walked in yesterday with everything planned and thought, this is it; I'll give it my best shot. Anything that is negative will only be used to make me better. I don't need to be perfect. I do get annoyed when I am not perfect because I just want to do everything well. It does frustrate me a lot when I'm not. But I can't hold that against myself because being perfect is impossible.

I just tried to forget about the woman sitting at the back observing me and focusing on making sure that the children I was teaching understood exactly what I was teaching. After a while, I forgot all about being observed and did my thing. I found it relieving once the main input had been and gone because I knew I only had 6 children to teach for the rest of the lesson. Things didn't go perfectly and I found a lot of things that I wasn't happy with.

BUT, she said that I did really well and that I was definitely in the right profession to be a teacher. Her first comment was that I was a friendly and confident teacher and that made me smile. I am glad that I didn't't completely bomb. And the few negative comments I had was about making sure my voice matches my teacher role. Apparently, my voice is too soft so I need to work on that. And I also need to work on making sure every child is listening to me before I start talking. I end up panicking and talking just to hope they'll all settle down. 

Maybe I was born to teach...
I have a lot more weeks to refine my teaching style but she said that I was doing well and I only hope that I get better and better the more I teach. I'm going to think positively because if I didn't fail on my first observation, I'm doing something right!!

And now I can breathe and continue teaching without all the stress.

Also, we've finally hit the 10 countdown mark. How exciting. It is just around the corner and I'm so excited!!
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment