Monday 10 December 2012

I have an addiction...

I admit it!

I, Nicole Ryan, am addicted to old school games...

After finding that my up-to-date, smart phone allowed me to download an app to play the original, and must I say, the best Snake game from Nokia 3210 (1997) I have been playing it non-stop.
I stayed up way past 1AM last night indulging in one of my childhood's favourite game. And like I always do when I think back to how long ago it was, it begs me to ask the question nowadays whether or not the kids of today have played such a momentous, and influential game that governed my childhood.

With the black and white graphics and oversimplified task, it seems like the most basic, and daresay crappy looking game but I love it. I can't fathom a child of today choosing to play such a game that clearly belonged in the past over such a complex and graphic technological genius such as Angry Birds and the like. And even if kids of today have played Snake, I can't see them finding as much enjoyment from the game as I did when I was younger.

I guess it's all about what you are brought up around. Such a generation one step older than me (my parents) probably can't understand why I didn't spend more time outside in my childhood like they did, and thus I am also reflecting on my childhood and asking the same questions of the generation below me.

It's true when the older generations say that it's just not the same as it used to be. When I was younger, I had a fake kitchen set which I used my imagination in order to create a sense of cooking with fake, plastic food. And yet now, as I look around there are all the toy contraptions to have a working oven that you can make cakes with, popcorn makers and whatnot that blows my mind. Part of this comes from the fact I'm sure those stuff was available when I was younger, but my parents simply couldn't afford it. But part of me is eternally grateful that I didn't have to ruin my imagination and sense of creativity by having everything handed to me on a plate. I used my brain to create wonderful games that brought me such joy and happiness...

With Christmas just around the corner (as I keep alluding to it) I know that a lot of kids are going to get toys that they will play with once and then never touch again; I know I did that too. I feel like the more technological we get, the less our minds will have to work to create scenarios; it will be provided for us.

I wonder what kind of toys will fill the next generations boxes that fit underneath the Christmas tree... Only time will tell...

From very nostalgic Nicole, happy Monday guys!
xxx

P.s. What were your favourite games and toys to play with as a child?

No comments:

Post a Comment