Friday 10 January 2014

Difference between Primary School and High School

Today is my last day at High School and I'll let you know a little secret. I'm not a fan of teaching Secondary School. This isn't because the people aren't lovely and the students aren't accepting because they really are but I just think it's not the type of person I am. If anyone knows me, they would take one look at me, say I'm a Primary School teacher and tell me that I'd probably get eaten alive if I taught teenagers in High School... And, it's true. I would agree with them. As I've said before, I'd be okay up to about year 9, but anything higher would be a nightmare for me.

But, as I've observed different days and lessons at the school, I've noticed many differences from Primary and Secondary school and I thought today, marking the last day of my High School experience, I would tell you some of my observations,

There is a lot less help for those that need it.
I know Primary schools have so many teaching assistants to help the children on a more one to one basis during the day because there are so many children in one lesson and so many varying abilities. But it seems that this stops as soon as those children go into year 7. And now I knew this before obviously because I went to High School but looking from the outside in, I can see how much this hinders some of the students. It's expensive to employ people to help in a class but it is much needed for some children. I can see them just trying to keep their head above water let alone learning and it is a shame that those children are left to fend for themselves in such an important time of their life. I did see a lesson that had lots of help for the children and just think those children would learn so much better if they had that help across the board.

The children are leaps and bounds more independent.
This is a little bit of a silly difference but unless you've seen the two in stark contrast, you can't understand how different it is to now have to spoonfeed everything to the children. They are all more than willing to give out books and put their hands up taking control of their own learning rather than needing the teacher to do everything. I think from the first term at High School, they realise that they aren't going to get it done for them so they have to do it themselves. It's really good and it's something that Primary School does try to promote but it's hard because they are in the environment where they have always been helped from the time they started school.

The children are no longer children.
Children at Primary School really are children, small and so innocent but I found that at High School, they are no longer children; they're more like little adults. It's a little unnerving because I feel like I should be back at High School and some of the kids are bigger than me and lot more confident than me! They are little adults and it scares me, which is why I doubt I will ever be able to teach Secondary.

The work is a lot harder.
This week, I've felt like I've had a little bit of a teaching myself. I learnt everything in the subjects the same way the children at the moment are but I've slowly forgotten some of the information. It was a little bit surprising when I was sat in a year 7 Maths lesson and felt like I was being tested myself. It's not as if I didn't know it, I was just shocked to be asked after having planning lessons for year 1s where they are only just learning to double their numbers...

Most find Secondary School a lot more important.
I have been talking to year 7s all week asking them which they prefer out of the two different schools and some of them have said Primary because they had easier work, lots of friends or they could sit where they wanted but most of them have said Secondary because the work is harder, they get to move rooms and because they like the fact they are in a school with other children. A boy in year 7 was telling me that his work and assessments were important because the grades in this school determined where he would go to university and where he would get a job. This was very surprising to me because to me, 11 and 12 year olds are still oblivious to the world but apparently they aren't. I think they see Secondary School as being the time they need to work in order to do well in the future. It's an awfully mature thing to say.

They're a lot more aware.
Children in Primary School don't even realise that you're following them around or might be observing them; they are still innocent enough to believe that you are there to help them or play with them when they don't have anyone else. But in Secondary School, they are more than willing to address why some random person is following them around their different lessons. In fact, on the first day, by third period I had been asked by a girl if I was following her... Not so inconspicuous as I would have hoped. They also want to know if you're a teacher or a teaching assistant and if you've gone to university. They know you're there even if you are sat at the back of the room not looking at them.

There are lot more lessons.
In terms of the variety of lessons, there are a lot more. In the two week period, you have to do x amount of History/Geography/Drama/Art etc lessons and this means that technically, the children do a lot more lessons than they are probably used to.

And that is it. I am gone from Secondary School. It's felt like a really weird time warp week because I have felt like a teaching assistant, a student again and like I've come a long way in the week. I've felt like i should be back at High School, that I wish I was back at High School and that I never want to go back again. I've felt like an adult, a child and a student. And it's been weird. A lovely weird but weird all the same. Now, for the week before I head back to Uni and don't get home til at least 6. Boohoo, my life!

WEEKEND, WEEKEND, WEEKEND! Yaaaay!
What has your week been like? Enjoyed it ? Loved it?
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment