Friday 31 January 2014

Happy Chinese New Year

I just wanted to say a really big Happy Chinese New Year 2014. It's come around to that time again when we are celebrating a new year when in Western society, the new year has just begun. It's funny how we've sort of adopt different societies' celebrations purely because it means we get to celebrate. I mean, who doesn't like to celebrate and have a reason to be happy? Especially in January. I don't know whether a lot of you celebrate Chinese New Year in the sense that China does but if you do or don't, you still have an understanding that each year, there is a different animal on rotation.
This year, it is the year of the HORSE! There are 12 animals because they used Jupiter as a constant and Jupiter orbits the Earth every 12 years and therefore the 12 animals represent this and get changed each year according to the rotation.
People that are born during the year of the horse are said to be energetic, bright and intelligent/gifted with great communications skills. People born during the year of the horse are also said to enjoy the limelight. You little showstoppers! Generally, they are cheerful, popular, talented and enjoy entertaining. Sounds like a pretty good year to be born in.

I was born in the year 1992 and that makes me born in the year of the Monkey. This suits me a little more than I thought it would. If, like me, you were born in the year of the monkey; we are fun and loving people who are always cheerful and energetic. We are also very clever! But as sociable and diplomatic as we seem, monkeys can be very deceptive and hide their opinions beneath their sociability. Unforutnately, we can't hide our emotions- which is very true for me. If you look at my face, you will instantly be able to tell what I'm feeling. It's a terrible thing to have. But that's me!
When my two sisters have their babies, my nieces or nephews will be a horse. That's kind of exciting!

For Chinese New Year, we are going to have a Chinese and celebrate with some fortune cookies to bring in the new year. There's a funny story tied with our little tradition to eat Chinese on Chinese New Year because a couple years back, I wasn't keen on Chinese food and so I got really annoyed when Mum and Dad bought it for dinner. I had a little moan about how we weren't even Chinese so why were we eating Chinese food. And then that moan came back round to bite me on the butt when I figured I actually did like Chinese food and now everyone always reminds me of the moment I moaned about eating Chinese on Chinese New Year... Oopsie.

Are you doing anything for Chinese New Year? What year are you in the Zodiac calendar? Let me know in the comments below.

Happy Chinese New Year my friends!!

Love, Nicole
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment