Thursday 16 January 2014

First World Problems

As I travelled home today, I wondered about what I would write about for today's blog. I hadn't pre-written this one today and I knew that I didn't have anything interesting to say. Today was my uni friend's birthday and we had a fun little birthday lunch complete with opening presents, cake and sweets, which was lovely! And then afterwards we went to the pub for a drink. It was lovely but I knew that it also meant I would be home a little later. It's terrible I know.

Anyway, I hit the jackpot with the first bus only having to wait a minute or two for it to arrive and then the first train was only 5 minutes away. Brilliant. My luck was apparently on my side today. And then, I couldn't believe my eyes as I looked across from the platform to catch my second train. And shall I explain why I couldn't? Normally, there is 1 minute to get from one side of the station to the other (which is generally impossible) and so when I saw that the train wasn't there, the hope inside of my sparked and I thought, what if it's been delayed and I might be able to catch it? So I literally ran across to catch it and I was right, thankfully I got on that train which meant not having to wait half an hour for the next one. Result!

But that's where my luck ran out really because I missed the connecting bus which meant I had to wait 15 minutes for the next one. And what's even worse was that I couldn't get any signal to send messages NOR could I use the Internet to check when the bus was actually coming with my live update app.. I know, it's terrible. I was not in the best of moods when the bus casually pulled up what seemed like HOURS LATER...
And then I thought about the real issues in my life and that's the fact that I'm pretty darn ungrateful. It's stupid getting so mad that I missed a bus that comes on time (most of the time) on a regular schedule and that I also got mad that my smart phone was not working... The real problems of the world are far more serious than my first world problems based on materialistic, selfish things. And then I felt bad.
It's terrible that we think our lives are hard but when we stick it up against the stark opposite reality for others in other countries, it's silly. It's silly to get so mad about insignificant things. But I can't help it. I wish I was more selfless and didn't let things like that wind me up when I know how lucky I am.

I guess we're all human and that means we can't be perfect. I can get mad and moan about my first world problems and know that it doesn't mean I don't know of other problems or appreciate how lucky I am. And that understanding is what we need to have, not to be too PC and not moan because although our lives are not terrible, BUT at the same time, we still have a right to be mad at things in life.

Right?
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment