Saturday 6 February 2016

D is for Dirty Grandpa Review

D is for Dirty Grandpa Review
Happy Saturday night everyone! I have a cheeky film review for you and it's quite lucky that the film I went to see on Thursday began with a D otherwise I'm not sure I would've had anything to blog about for today in my A-Z challenge.
A quick disclaimer before we get this review underway, I am not a real critic- I do not critic a film in the way that a professional would; I am not harsh and quite frankly, it takes a lot for me to not like a film so be warned that this might not be the *most* accurate reflection of the film. If you want a really harsh review- check out rottentomatoes website!

BUT if you are like me and just love the act of going to the cinema and watching films, you'll find this review very helpful.

Now to start, I didn't think I would be the type of girl to go to the cinema for Zac Efron and quite surprisingly, this time I did. In my mind, he has gone from the awkward HSM stage to being weirdly attractive... Not to mention his body being sexy! I just had to go and see this film.
This film is bad but in a really good way. It is a bad concept that really does not follow any of Robert De Niro's greatest moments and films but that's what makes it such a funny film (for me). The jokes are childish and probably very unintelligent but I laugh at my dad's jokes which are on the same level so that explains that... The story line is predictable right in the first 10 minutes but the again, what film do you really go and see where you don't have an expected outcome for?
The cast are good actors and have good comic timing and actually have a fairly good on screen presence and relationship, which I think is a positive for the film. I laughed at so many moments but most of them were in a cringe moment. My thoughts on some of the scenes were - "oh my goodness, they are not going this low in the film... oh my, yes they are!"

There were some moments when I just felt uncomfortable- namely the scene on the beach with Zac and the bee... I will spoil no more. I think if any part of the film shouldn't have been in there (and there were a couple of contenders) it was definitely that one. I did not agree with that being a good idea for the film.
I don't actually think I've painted a really good picture of this film but to end the review, I did enjoy it. I laughed and I laughed harder than I have done in quite a few films that I've been to see recently. It was a bad film but in a good way- one of those guilty pleasure, non-serious type films. And there were quite a few moments to glory in Zac Efron's body... and De Niro's body if you're into that.
If you like comedy and don't mind sitting through a potential bad film that you love, I would recommend this film. If you're a hardcore film goer and will dissect every part of a film to critique it, this film is definitely not your cup of tea- I'd steer clear.

And there it is. I would probably give it 3 thumbs up out of 5.

Have a lovely night!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment