Sunday 7 February 2016

E is for Eternal Life?

E is for Eternal Life?
Oh my goodness, I never realised how tricky this challenge could get until I got to this letter. It is hard trying to think of a topic that is relevant AND begins with E. I was thinking for ages for something for today. I refused to give up. I thought about some like: eating and early, but as I began to write the blog, I couldn't keep going because it was so bad! 

My friend, Hollie, came up with a good idea about Education but I feel like I talk about being a teacher so much that I wanted to branch out a little bit more. Thank you for your suggestion though, Hols ;)

I decided on this topic because I couldn't think of anything else. Hold on people because we're going to go a little deep today on this Sunday morning....
 It is one of those things that in the past 5 years, I've really thought about it, As you know, I lost all my grandparents (2 Nans and 1 Grandad) in the space of 4 years. It was some of the worst times of my life and I still hate life for it. I always wished for more time and the idea of people never dying makes me feel like it would be the greatest gift. I know that there are pros and cons to this so I wanted to share these with you today.

Advantages:
- You would literally never have to say goodbye to anyone, unless you wanted to. Having that choice to have people in your life forever would be fantastic. I definitely did not want to say goodbye to any of my grandparents and the fact that I had to makes me so angry. Eternal life would mean that I would have them with me all the time. I love that idea.

- You could achieve everything that you ever wanted- for example, if you wanted to travel around the world; realistically unless you are rich or have a lot of money, going to every country isn't exactly the most achievable dream but if you have forever; you could do it multiple times over...
Disadvantages:
- Would you still grow old? If you grew old and had an eternal life of being an 80 year old, I'd want to pass. As much as I would like to have my family with me all the time and never have to say goodbye to them, the thought of having us all really old and not being able to care properly for ourselves makes me feel very sad. I wouldn't want to have an eternal life if I still had to grow old.

- Would the moments you create really be as special as they are now? The memories we carry with us are special and unique because you know that you could only probably have time in your life to create them once. If you had an eternal life, would the small parts of your life mean the same if they could potentially be created hundreds of times over? I don't think so. I think the fleeting nature of life makes everything so special but if you had endless life, it wouldn't be special.

As I think about it, eternal life sounds good on paper but I think in reality, it would ruin the special moments of life. I loved my grandparents and losing them only proved to me how much. It's a weird concept but even if people you love aren't here, doesn't mean you stop loving them. I realise how lucky I was to have 20 odd years with them because I lost them. I look back with happy, special memories rather than insignificant ones. 
What do you think about eternal life? What would you want? Let me know!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment