Saturday 24 August 2013

Favourite TV Series

I am a great sucker for TV and before I had written a blog about my favourite TV shows: http://nicolespearlsofwisdom.blogspot.com/2013/01/tv-addict.html

Now, those are the TV shows that I am currently obsessed with but there are a few TV series that I used to love when I was around 15/16 years old that I haven't mention. And from request from Chloe (dedicated to you), I thought I would talk about two of her favourite TV shows as well that we are and were both obsessed with. Those are number 1 and 2 of my list with 3 being one of my own favourites. These, quite coincidently, are all American TV shows- you have to love them even if you try so hard to hate them. You can't help it!

1. Dawson's Creek
This is an old classic. It follows the friendship of three characters- Joey, Pacey and obviously Dawson (staring Katie Holmes, Joshua Jackson and James Van Der Beek. It gives the troubles of growing up with such close guy friends for Joey and she obviously flits between the two main characters changing her mind at every pillar and post. The real beauty of this show is that it is such old school with the filming, the acting and all the little bits in between such as the fashion and the quotes. It's not just a favourite because of those things but the show has a way of making you feel completely in touch and compassionate with the characters. Also, unlike most American shows nowadays, the characters are smart- they use borderline pretentious vocabulary but it serves you show you that there is more to life than getting drunk, sleeping around and messing up your life. I love that they are smarter than most of their viewers and somehow they make that okay and good! It makes you love them as much as you love your own friends and I know that it's a sure favourite of anyone who gave it a chance when they were younger.

2. One Tree Hill
Now One Tree Hill is almost the complete opposite to Dawson's Creek because it follows the stereotypical American High School kid labels. There is the smart, unpopular girl (Haley) who is best friends with the unpopular, no-dad sports guy (Lucas). Then you have the popular girls (Peyton and Brooke) who each love and lust over the popular sports guy (Nathan). They are all the clichéd characters that are in an American school. However, you may think that from that description, the show isn't that great but you'd be wrong. I love this show because the characters, besides their stereotypical roles, are lovable. There are so many characters and so many different stories to follow that there is always drama and always excitement that you can't help but want to watch the next one. You also get to see the characters grow from high school to real life and I really like that. When I get attached to characters, I never want to let them go, and this show literally never does let them go. It deals with loads of scenarios, many that are exaggerated and unbelievable but then again, that's half of what makes it so great!

3. Charmed
I always love a good supernatural show and this one is so old school that it kind of makes me sick how many times I have happily watched reruns of it. It follows three witches who just happen to be sisters and are the most powerful witches. There are subsequently demons and just about any other supernatural being that you can think of. They then have to "vanquish" them all to make the world a safer place. They each have different powers (Piper: ability to freeze and blow things up, Phoebe: power of premonition, Prue: telekinesis; power to move objects with her mind). The beauty of this show is that not only does it follow the demons etc. that they have to face but it also follows their own personal stories that highlight their struggle between being a witch and trying to fit in with the mortal world. I really love this because I secretly wanted to be a witch and would embarrassingly practice my Piper hand movements in order to try and freeze people. Surprisingly, it never worked, funnily enough... Also, without spoiling any of the big stories, a fourth sister was added named Paige.
What were your favourite TV shows that you followed avidly when you were a teenager? Did I name any of them? Did you watch any of the ones I said and think they were shockingly bad? Let me know in the comments, I always love to know how different people's likes and dislikes can be so please, leave me messages!

Lovesssss
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment